Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Tale of a Girl

Today was such a beautiful day with wonderfully pleasant weather, so I decided to find an excuse for a long walk. Fortunately, I needed to buy a few things for my mom and then I added a few items for my own to the shopping list. The result was a 7 km walk from mom's house to the center of the town and I loved it. I went to visit my freind, too, and we walked a few blocks together, although she was out of breath bu the time we separated our ways. It was fun.
As you may know, Persian New Year, which we call Norooz (the new day), starts on March 20th and I aim to lose a few more pounds by then, So I try to walk as much as I can. I bought myself a really cute Victoria notebook, which I actually have no idea how I should use, but I just wanted it so I got it.

I've tried so many times to start writing about my life or discribe what it'jjs like here in Iran, but it's funny that when it comes to these things, I don't know how I should start!
I was born on October 20th, 1988, in Bandar Anzali. Anzali is literally my paradise. I know almost every corner, every alley, every street. I walk here for hours and hours without feeling tired. Anzali is one of the safest cities I've been to. One of the interesting things about Iran is that most of the shops are open until 9 p.m., so if I mentioned that, don't be surprised. Anzali is a small city, too, so most of the people know each other somehow. That's one of the other reasons for the safety we feel here. Also, it's a great city for women. Here we are not bounded to our houses. Most of the women here can go out as much as they want and have a good time. For us, girls are human beings, not property. This is true almost everywhere in Oran nowadays, but I can say that Anzali, and Guilan province in general, are great places for women in Iran.
My parents were really young when they got married, and they lived with my father's parents. It was kind of customary to live with the man's parents at that time. Grandma didn't get along well with my mom, and she made mom upset a lot. I suppose at least half of Persian mother-in-laws are like this in Iran. It's because of their emotional dependence on their sons. In old days, most of Persian men didn't show their emotions to their wives, so they became kind of dependent on the love and affection they received from their sons. But my grandma wasn't like this. She was a control freak. Mom was young and quiet, and she couldn't stand up for herself. So when they finally got the chance to move to another city when I was six, they took it in a heartbeat.
Arak wasn't exactly a free city for women, since it was really traditional and Islamic, and girls who are used to freedom can't take it there. I hated that city. I was a child who really liked the sea, and the green, and rain. Arak was set in a dry desert which was hot in the Summer and so cold in the Winter, and I hate cold. The memories of those eight-nine years still makes me dislike the cold and snow. Anzali is a himid place and it rarely snows here, but I guess I'm the only unhappy girl in Anzali when it does.
We came back to Anzali in 2002. My father found a job in the South a year later, and we were forced to stay in the North while he worked in Asalooyeh, which is a petro-chemical zone South of Iran. He still works there, and we see him once a month for seven to ten days when he comes to visit.
I always wanted to do the things my way. That's why I became what I am. I am an independent girl. I did many things my own way, not the society's way. But I guess the most outrageous thing I've evr done is the story of how I met my husband. However, that story should wait and be told slowly. I think everything I wrote tonight is enough.
It's really late now. I have a gym session tomorrow and I have to get some sleep. I'll come back soon enough.
In the meanwhile, tell me where you are from. How did you find this and what would you like to know about me and my life? I'll answer any questions you have.

See you later.


No comments:

Post a Comment